Holiday Turkey with Giblet Gravy
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 210 minutes Total time: 240 minutes
Meat: 4 1/2
- 12 lb
- Butterball® turkey, thawed
- medium onions, cut into 8ths, divided
- medium celery stalks, cut in 3rds, divided
- 4 cloves
- garlic, cut in half, divided
- 1 cup
- chopped fresh parsley leaves, divided
- nonstick vegetable spray
- 5 cups
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- black pepper
- 1/3 cup
- all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325º F. Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities; set aside (discard liver).
- Rinse and dry turkey with paper towels. Place half of the onion, celery, garlic and parsley in body cavity of turkey.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on flat rack in shallow roasting pan. Coat skin with nonstick vegetable spray.
- Roast turkey 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 hours or until it is 180º F in the thigh area. Cover breast and top of drumsticks with foil after 1 1/2 hours to prevent overcooking of breast.
- To make giblet stock, place neck, heart, gizzard and remaining onion, celery, garlic and parsley in large saucepan or Dutch oven. (For best flavor do not include the liver).
- Add the water, salt and black pepper. Bring JUST to a boil, reduce heat, cover tightly and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Strain stock, cover and refrigerate. Pull meat from neck and discard bones. Finely chop neck meat, heart and gizzard; cover and refrigerate.
- To make giblet gravy, strain pan drippings from turkey into a 4-cup glass measure. Refrigerate until fat hardens on top layer. Remove fat from drippings; place 1/4 cup fat into a medium sauce pan and discard the rest.
- Stir in flour until smooth. Add reserved giblet stock to pan drippings to make 4 cups. Slowly add drippings to flour mixture and stir until smooth.
- Cook and stir until gravy boils and thickens slightly. Stir in neck meat and giblets and heat until hot. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Makes 16 servings. Per Serving: 4 1/2 Meat, 2 Fat.