Lavender Creme Brulee
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes Total time: 95 minutes
- vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
- 1 1/4 cups
- low-fat milk
- 1 1/4 cups
- fat-free milk
- 1 1/2 tsps
- dried lavender flowers
- large eggs
- large egg whites
- 1/3 cup
- raw cane sugar plus 6 teaspoons for topping
- Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean pod. In a medium saucepan, combine the vanilla bean pod and seeds, the milks, and the lavender flowers. Bring to a simmer over low heat. Remove from the heat, cover, and steep for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Return the pan to medium heat and bring the milk mixture back to a low boil.
- Combine the eggs, egg whites, and sugar in a bowl. Slowly whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture, stirring constantly until all the milk has been added.
- Strain the custard through a fine mesh strainer or a colander lined with cheesecloth.
- Pour 1/2 cup of custard into each of 12 ramekins and place them in a baking pan. Add enough hot water to the baking pan to bring the water halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the custard is set. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled (1 to 2 hours).
- When ready to serve, preheat the broiler. Place the ramekins of chilled custard on a baking sheet. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon raw cane sugar in each ramekin and broil quickly until the sugar is caramelized, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Watch carefully to avoid burning. Let cool at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 12 servings. Per Serving: 1/2 Meat, 1/2 Fat, 1 Free.