tips and information to succeed!
- « previous article
- next article »
Baking Tips- Healthy Alternatives
At Jenny we know that birthday parties, community bake sales or neighborhood block parties aren’t the same with some tasty home-made treats. So we’ve listed below some easy, calorie saving substitutions you’ll be ready to enjoy without worrying about your waistline. Plus, whether your goal is weight loss or maintenance, you can use the following tips to enhance flavor and satisfaction to your MyDays™ meals without adding substantial calories or fat.
Use alternative cooking methods.
- Bake, broil, roast, microwave, steam, or grill.
- Use nonstick pans and skillets.
- Use cooking sprays to cook or coat pans in place of butter, margarine, or oil.
- Stir-fry or sauté in small amounts of oil or use reduced sodium-broth.
When preparing desserts,here is a list of simple substitute to add to your baking recipe:
- Two egg whites for every whole egg
- Applesauce for half the shortening
- Nonfat yogurt for sour cream
- Mini chocolate chips for regular-sized ones and reduce the amount by half
- Reduce the nuts to a tablespoon or two
- Fat free whipped cream for regular whipped cream
SOURCE: Calorie King. http://www.calorieking.com. Accessed February 4, 2013.