Smart Snacking Made Easy
Snacking is an important component of eating healthy and sticking to a weight loss meal plan. When you are planning your snacks, keep in mind the importance of a good balance of foods and nutrients. These ideas will help you get started:
● Take inventory of your fridge and keep fruits, vegetables and yogurt in mind as quick, easy and healthy snack choices.
● Take advantage of Free Foods for snacks, such as veggie sticks. Jenny Craig Dressing, salsa, and nonfat or low-fat yogurt mixed with a dry dip mix are great, lower-calorie options.
● Compare the labels when selecting your snack foods. Look for varieties with reduced fat and lower calories, and pay attention to serving sizes.
● Think light and 'airy', and choose snack foods that are high in air content such as popcorn, puffed cereals or rice cakes so that you can enjoy a larger amount without more calories.
● Pre-portion your snacks and set yourself up for success. Prepare or buy individual sized snacks.
● Practice mindful eating and really savor the flavor. Snacking on the go or while doing other tasks can easily lead to overeating. Consider choosing snacks that require utensils such as yogurt or jello.
● Earn your snack. Choose foods (such as an orange or grapefruit) that you need to peel to extend your snacking experience.
Did you know?
Higher-protein foods can decrease hunger and enhance satiety (the feeling of fullness/satisfaction). Add some protein for increased satiety. Try a light cheese stick or low-fat cottage cheese paired with a fruit or Free Food vegetables to help keep you satisfied between meals.