Overcome Mixed Emotions With a Positive Attitude
Do you sometimes ask yourself, Do I still want to do this? Those feelings of “wanting” and “not wanting” to continue are a natural part of the weight loss journey. When you want to give up or quit, remember these tips to help you remind yourself of the following reasons to stay the course:
- I am capable of change. Remove the word “can’t” from your vocabulary.
- My reasons for wanting/needing to lose weight are worth the effort.
- I surround myself with supportive people.
- I can make a fresh start TODAY.
- Nothing is impossible -- it’s a challenge.
- I can use my mistakes as learning opportunities.
If you tend to see the ‘glass half full’ you have the power to reach your goals. However, if you see the ‘glass half empty’, you could benefit from learning some optimism. Here are easy ways to positively reframe situations and become that optimistic person:
- When you find yourself thinking the effort to follow a weight loss program is too much, remind yourself that Jenny Craig can work for you because it has for so many people before you.
- Focus on the healthy choices you made (especially if you didn’t lose weight this week), such as eating more vegetables or fruit than you have before. Reframe it in the positive, and you’ll see it was a pretty good week.
- Don’t tell yourself you are powerless. Instead say, “I am in charge, it’s my choice.”
- Ditch the all-or-nothing attitude. Doing fifteen minutes of activity is better than doing nothing at all.
- Believe in your ability to make your dream a reality by visualizing yourself achieving it. Seriously, spend a few minutes each day picturing yourself at your goal weight. What are you doing? How do you feel?
Once you’ve made the choice to take the positive road, you are well on your way to a successful journey. Celebrate your new and improved attitude!