Liven Up Your Menu Planning with Free Foods
Looking for ways to add variety and satisfaction to your menu? Use Jenny’s Free Foods to add volume and variance to your meals and snacks. This list includes foods, beverages and flavor enhancers that are low in calories and can be added to your daily meal plan. They are designed to increase your satisfaction without significantly increasing your calorie intake. The Free Foods are divided into two categories:
Unlimited Free Foods
Here you will find non-starchy vegetables, beverages, flavor enhancers and some sugar-free sweets. Non-starchy vegetables provide one of the best ways to help you feel fuller with fewer calories. They are water-rich, high in fiber and low in calories. Using the Volumetrics® approach will help you feel more satisfied and full between meals and snacks. Here are some ideas to get you started:
● Thread vegetable cubes on skewers and roast or grill for a filling side dish or in-between meal snack.
● Use lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, pickles, and Dijon mustard to make your Jenny’s Cuisine® burger (link) or sandwich even more delicious.
● Time to spice things up? Create custom meals with exotic and fragrant herbs, flavored vinegars or other seasonings.
Use this list of Unlimited Free Foods to stave off hunger:
● Beverages: Carbonated or Mineral Water, Club Soda, Coffee, Diet Soda, Diet Tonic, Sugar-Free Drink Mix, Tea. Note: If you choose to decrease your caffeine intake, do so gradually.
● Flavor Enhancers: Bouillon/Broth (low-sodium), Extracts, Garlic, Herbs (fresh or dried), Horseradish, Hot Sauce, Ketchup, Lemon Juice, Lime Juice, Mustard, Pickles, Pimiento, Salsa, Spices, Soy Sauce (low-sodium), Vinegar, Worcestershire Sauce
● Non-starchy Vegetables (Without Added Fat): Artichoke, Asparagus, Bamboo Shoots, Beans (green, wax, Italian), Bean Sprouts, Beets, Bok Choy, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Cucumber, Eggplant, Greens (collard, kale, mustard, turnip), Hearts of Palm, Jicama, Leeks, Mushrooms, Okra, Onions, Peppers (all varieties), Radishes, Rutabaga, Salad Greens (endive, escarole, lettuce, romaine, spinach), Sauerkraut, Snap Peas, Spaghetti Squash, Squash (crookneck, spaghetti, summer, yellow, zucchini), Tomatoes/Tomato Paste/Tomato Sauce, Turnips, Vegetable Juice (low-sodium), Zucchini
● Sweets (Sugar-free): Gelatin, Gum, Ice Pop, Sugar Substitute
Limited Free Foods
The Limited Free Foods are 35 calories or less per serving. Choose up to three servings each day. Pick these foods to give you some extra variety and help fill you up with creative additions. Try this:
● Add 2 tsps heart-healthy ground flaxseeds to your yogurt.
● Toss 1/4 cup fresh blueberries in your cereal.
● Enjoy 2 Tbls regular whipped topping on Jenny’s Cuisine® cakes.
Use this list of Limited Free Foods to add flair to your menu:
(May choose up to 3 servings/day)
≤ 35 calories per serving
● Condiments (Fat-free), 1 Tbl: Barbeque Sauce, Cream Cheese, Margarine, Mayonnaise, Non-Dairy Creamer, Salad Dressing, Sour Cream, Teriyaki Sauce
● Fruits, 1/2 cup: Cantaloupe, Grapefruit, Honeydew, Strawberries, Watermelon; 1/4 cup: All Other Varieties of Fruit (fresh, frozen or canned without added sugar)
● Ground Flaxseed, 2 tsps
● Parmesan Cheese, 1 Tbl
● Jenny’s Cuisine® Lite Table Syrup, 1 packet
● Soupitizer® Soups, count as 2 Limited Free servings
● Sweets (Low-sugar or Sugar-free): Hard Candy (2 pieces), Hot Cocoa Mix (2 Tbls), Jelly (1 Tbl), Pudding (1/4 cup), Syrup (caramel, chocolate, maple, strawberry) (2 Tbls), Whipped Topping (3 Tbls)
● Sweets (Regular): Syrup (caramel, chocolate, maple, strawberry) (1 1/2 tsps), Hard Candy (1 piece), Jelly (2 tsps), Pudding (2 Tbls), Whipped Topping (2 Tbls)
1. Rolls BJ. The Ultimate Volumetrics Diet. New York, NY: Harper Collins; 2012.
2. Rolls BJ. The Volumetrics Eating Plan. New York, NY: Harper; 2007.
3. Rolls BJ, et al. J Am Diet Assoc. 2004;104:1570-1576.
VOLUMETRICS® is a federally registered trademark of Barbara Rolls, PhD, used under exclusive license by Jenny Craig Operations, Inc.