Get Healthy in 10 Minutes
Many of us long for it. But few of us are genetically blessed to have it.
"It" is the so-called "perfect body" paraded before us in television commercials, in department store print ads, and on our favorite sitcoms. It is also the reason why many people - especially women - are unable to keep a balanced diet and end up practicing overzealous exercise regimens.
For most of us, honing a "perfect" body is not only unattainable, it's downright unhealthy. A leaner, stronger body, on the other hand, is something that most of us can achieve with a little work, exercise motivation and less time out of your busy schedule than you may think.
To live a balanced lifestyle, you don't have to make all-encompassing, sweeping changes in your life. Here are some ways to get you on your way to a healthier body:
- Take a 10-minute "walk break" instead of a "coffee break" at work.
- Walk the kids all the way to school.
- Do resistance training activities while waiting in line.
- Exercise for just 10 minutes to burn calories on a time crunch. Whether it's walking, working out to an exercise video or lifting light weights, three 10-minute bouts add up to the 30 minutes of exercise that experts recommend you do on most days of the week!
- Take 10 minutes to vacuum (you'll burn 38 calories), garden (50 calories), or push the lawn mower around (70 calories). You can catch up on chores and break a sweat at the same time!
- Take your precious pooch for a 10-minute walk and burn approximately 42 calories in the process!
- Make your next 10-minute walk a meditative experience. Focus on your breathing. Be conscious of your posture. Feel your stride. See how awareness can relax your body and rejuvenate your spirit.