Quick Activity Bouts: Exercise in a Hurry
You’ve likely heard it before: health experts recommend at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity most days a week. Seems like a lot? Well, good news! Three 10-minute bouts are equally effective. Still too much? If that doesn’t seem doable, start with 5- or even 3-minute bouts.
- Go on a 3-minute walk before dinner.
- Walk around the office for 3 minutes during your coffee break.
- Take a 3-minute walk around your house during a TV commercial break.
- Spend 3 minutes on some extra house cleaning before work.
- Dance for 3 minutes to your favorite song.
- Park in the farthest parking spot at the grocery store or at work.
- Instead of sending an email, walk your message to your co-worker’s office.
Dedicate this bit of time to yourself, and enjoy the positives that may come with it – increased energy, sense of accomplishment, clearer head and relaxed mood. Track your stress, energy and mood daily to monitor your wellness. If you consistently add in quick activity bouts, you’re bound to see more highs than lows.