We change lives for a living.
Defend Your Weight Loss Game Plan On Super Bowl Sunday
Carlsbad, CA, January 13, 2003 - Just because you're watching your weight doesn't mean you have to sit on the sidelines as everyone else feasts this Super Bowl Sunday. Below are recipes from Jenny Craig, Inc.'s new Fast and Festive cookbook* that will have you cheering. It's traditional football game grub without the guilt.
To keep your health-minded head in the game, stick to these tips from Jenny Craig corporate registered dietitian, Jennifer Boyer.
- Before you head to a Super Bowl party, have a small snack (e.g. crackers, yogurt) to minimize overindulging.
- Don't be fooled by vegetables and dip. Many dips are loaded with fat and calories - check out the recipe below for a lower fat Cheesy Bell Pepper Dip.
- Position yourself away from the buffet or snack table so you're not within an arm's reach.
- Limit alcohol- it just adds "empty calories" and offers virtually no nutrients.
- After the game, get active. Play a game of catch outside or go for a brisk walk.
- Don't load up on junk food, because you won't feel satisfied. Eat something more substantial like the Chicken Wrap recipe below. These wraps are tasty, easy to make, and high in protein.
Cheesy Bell Pepper Dip
Served With Assorted Vegetables
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6-8 minutes
1 tsp olive oil
1 red onion, small quartered
2 garlic cloves, crushed
½ cup sweet red peppers
½ cup basil leaves, fresh
6 oz. cream cheese, nonfat
2 tsp lemon juice
In a small no-stick frying pan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until soft; do not let the garlic brown. Transfer to a food processor. Add the peppers and basil. Process until smooth. Add the cream cheese and lemon juice; process until just blended. Yield: 8 servings.
33 calories, 4 g carbohydrate, 3 g protein; 1 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 143 mg sodium.
Chicken Wrap Ups
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Marinate: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
1 1/3 cans (10 ¾-oz each) chicken broth
2/3 cup lime juice
1 ¼ tsp McCormick® Onion Powder
1 ¼ tsp McCormick® Garlic Powder
¾ tsp McCormick® Ground Cumin
1/8 tsp McCormick® Ground Red Pepper
2 lbs boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
8 flour tortillas
Place chicken broth, lime juice, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin and red pepper in 2-cup glass measure and stir to combine. Pour into self-closing plastic bag or glass stainless steel dish. Add chicken and toss or turn to coat. Cover, if using dish, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes. Preheat broiler or grill. Remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade. Place chicken on lightly greased broiler plan or grill and cook 5 - 6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Warm tortillas. Cut chicken into strips and serve on tortillas. Yield: 8 servings.
286 calories, 24 g carbohydrate, 32 g protein, 6 g fat, 68 mg cholesterol, 579 mg sodium
4 meats, 1 ½ starches, 1 fat
*The Fast and Festive cookbook is available for a limited time for $12.95 at www.jennycraig.com/shop/.
Cheesy Bell Pepper Dip recipe courtesy of www.aboutproduce.com, developed by the Produce For Better Health Foundation and the National Cancer Institute. Chicken Wrap-Ups recipe courtesy of McCormick & Company, Inc.