Since the company started in Melbourne, Australia, in 1983, the Jenny Program has helped millions of people achieve their weight management goals through a safe, balanced lifestyle approach. Our program is designed by our team of registered dietitians in consultation with our expert Medical Advisory Board, whose recommendations reflect the latest research on nutrition, physical activity and lifestyle change for weight management and disease prevention.
The keys to successful weight loss are a combination of knowledge and motivation. It takes knowledge of healthy eating and active lifestyle strategies to lose weight, and it takes ongoing motivation to maintain that weight loss. Jenny provides both the education and support to help clients achieve and maintain their weight loss goals.
In June 2006, ACI Capital and MidOcean partners jointly announced the signing of a definitive agreement to sell Jenny to Nestlé in a transaction valued at approximately $600 million. The transaction was finalized in July, 2006.
Jenny's management team continues to run the business, and reports directly to Nestlé Nutrition—becoming the fourth pillar of Nestlé activities along with infant nutrition, healthcare nutrition, and performance nutrition.
Jenny offers a clinically proven weight loss program. In a clinical trial published in the October 27, 2010, issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association, Jenny clients lose an average of 10% of their body weight at the one-year mark, and maintained 7.9% weight loss at the two-year mark. This was compared to usual care, or those who dieted on their own, who had a weight loss of 2%.
In addition, researchers discovered that participants assigned to Jenny's protocol, which included one-on-one weekly consultations and personalized nutrition and activity plans, adopted long-term healthier eating habits and meaningful health benefits that attribute to an improved quality of life. The two-year study followed overweight and obese women randomly assigned to Jenny's In Center weight management program, Jenny At Home weight management program or usual care, which gave participants two meetings with a nutritionist and monthly follow-up calls.
Participants on Jenny's program demonstrated reduced biochemical risk factors that can lead to chronic diseases, including cancer, diabetes, depression and stroke. They also achieved favorable changes in lipid, leptin and carotenoid levels, as well as improved cardiopulmonary fitness. Participation in Jenny's weight management program was also directly correlated with improvements in the physical health scale of Quality of Life (QOL) and lower depression scores.
- Jenny offers a comprehensive food/body/mind approach to healthy weight management that includes three essential success factors: creating a healthy relationship with food, building an active lifestyle, and developing a balanced approach to living.
- The average client participating in the program for three months, who makes at least 75% of their weekly visits, loses about 8%-10% of their body weight—or roughly 15-20 lbs.
- Jenny offers a science-based program that includes components that have individually been shown to be effective for weight management, including portion control/meal replacement, reduced-energy-density foods, consistent physical activity, behavior modification, and a motivational approach to counseling.
- Jenny's nutrition (Eat Well) component includes more than 70 delicious and nutritious entrées and snacks created to the specifications of our corporate registered dietitians. The menus reflect the Dietary Guidelines for Americans published in 2005, and the Dietary Reference Intakes issued by the Institute of Medicine in 2002.
- The caloric distribution of the menu is 50-60% carbohydrate, 20-30% protein and 20-30% fat. Fiber content ranges between 20 and 40 grams, sodium 2-4 grams, cholesterol 100-200 milligrams, and calcium 1000-2000 milligrams.
- Jenny's Cuisine® serves as a model for balance, variety and moderation in food choices and is supplemented by the client's own fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, reduced-fat dairy and heart-healthy fats.
- The first half of Jenny's weight loss program consists of weekly menus that include three Jenny entrées and one Jenny snack per day. During this time, clients can use Jenny's Dining Out Success Guide and various Jenny cookbooks to plan meals on their own or manage social/dining-out events.
- Once clients reach their halfway desired weight, they learn how to plan menus that include one to two days of menus using more of their own foods.
- Once clients reach their desired goal weight, they begin a four-week transition to seven days of menus using all of their own foods. As an option, they can continue to enjoy the weight management benefits of ongoing portion control by including one Jenny entrée/snack per day in their Maintenance Menu.
- While we've been programmed to cut calories, reduce fat, and minimize portion size in order to lose weight, these tactics leave out one critical element: satisfaction. We've worked with Dr. Barbara Rolls, renowned for her nutrition research on appetite, to incorporate her "Volumetrics" set of techniques into our program. Volumetrics shows that if you can lower the calorie density of foods, you can reduce the total calories consumed at a meal. Our clients seldom complain of hunger or feelings of deprivation due to our emphasis on low-calorie-density foods and the emotional satisfaction of our snacks. Our latest cookbook, The Volumetrics Cookbook for Jenny, provides a fun and informative tool for creating a healthy relationship with food.
- Jenny's exercise (Move More) component provides a stage-based approach to physical activity and was developed in consultation with the Cooper Institute.
- Suggested strategies and tools are targeted to a client's specific stage of readiness for physical activity (contemplation, preparation, action or maintenance).
- Jenny's balanced lifestyle (Live Life) component is designed to support clients in developing the motivational mindset to maintain healthy changes. Self-care and stress management strategies are integral aspects of this component.
- To enhance the motivational aspect of its weight loss program, Jenny enlisted the expertise of Dr. Martha Beck—internationally known life coach, best-selling author and columnist for O, The Oprah Magazine—to collaborate in the development of Touchstones for Success. This innovative tool combines a DVD, CD and five touchstones to help clients change their weight loss and strengthen their resolve to succeed. The five strategies are: learn to love the rebel and restrictor in you; harness the power of internal motivation to enhance success; learn how to make weight goals a priority in the midst of daily demands; use rewards to break the cycle of binge eating; and discover the physical and emotional satisfaction that results from mindful eating.
- Jenny's unique point of difference from other programs is the one-on-one consultation. Jenny's consultants are trained in the basics of nutrition, exercise and behavior modification, with a special emphasis on active listening skills designed to enhance motivation, goal setting and problem solving for weight management success.
- Weekly consultations enable the consultant to partner with the client to assess the previous week's successes and challenges, and to develop a realistic food/body/mind action plan for the upcoming week. Identifying personal motivators, facilitating self-monitoring progress, and rewarding positive changes all help to build client self-efficacy—their confidence in their competence with healthy weight behaviors. Self-efficacy is a predictor for success.
- Our website, www.jennycraig.com, includes message boards, a 24/7 chat room, helpful program information, inspiring success stories and much more.
- Support is offered via a toll-free number: 1-800-JennyCare (536-6922). Trained staff members are available on weekends and after hours to answer questions and help keep clients on track.
- Centers continually offer clients a variety of healthy eating- and exercise-related items—such as cookbooks, pedometers, fitness products, and motivational items—to complement their Jenny program and encourage positive lifestyle change.