News & Media
Spring Migration: Americans Flock to Jenny Craig in Preparation for Swimsuit Season
Carlsbad, Calif. (May 11, 2006) - Jenny Craig, one of the country's largest weight-loss companies, experienced a surge of new business during the month of April. Second only to the resolutions-driven first week of the year, the week after Easter once again resulted in a dramatic increase in the number of people seeking to lose weight in time for Summer.
"As consumers face the ritual of trying on new bathing suits, they realize the need to start shedding the pounds that crept up during winter," said Lisa Talamini, Chief Nutritionist and Director of Program Development for Jenny Craig. "And, because only about half of us keep our New Year's resolutions after just a few months, it's very common for people to start dieting and exercising as soon as they see signs of spring."
According to Talamini, those who succeed in the long-term are those who turn diet and exercise adjustments into lifestyle changes, rather than just a temporary way to slim down for the season. "That is why," she adds, "it is essential to choose a weight loss plan that is both tailored to one's lifestyle and takes a comprehensive approach to diet, exercise and healthy habit making."
Spring is the season to make a fresh start and get a jump on summer. Talamini offers these healthy tips to help everyone get in swimsuit shape:
- Enjoy seasonal fruits and vegetables to add variety without sacrificing satisfaction. Fresh asparagus, green beans and strawberries have wonderfully robust flavor when picked at their peak.
- Substitute a sprinkle of chopped walnuts for hollandaise sauce, a splash of olive oil for butter, and sliced avocado for sour cream to keep the focus on heart-healthy fats.
- Limit casseroles, cream-based sauces and other winter "comfort foods." Instead, try a chef's salad filled with luscious tomatoes, lean turkey and reduced cheeses along with fresh berries garnished with fat-free whipped topping for dessert.
- Tackle your spring-cleaning, dig out your gardening tools or chase your children at the playground. Aim for 30 minutes of brisk activity most days of the week.
- Grab your walking shoes and hit the pavement, beach or trails. Instead of focusing on how far you need to walk, pay attention to the unique sights, sounds and smells of spring. You'll feel rejuvenated by the time you return home.
- Using comfortable weights, resistance tubes or cans of vegetables, add 15-20 minutes of light weight training twice a week to tone up muscles. For every pound of muscle you gain, you burn an extra 35 calories - which can add up to a 10-pound weight loss over the course of a year.
- Adopt a fresh attitude. Just like a gardener can retrain a vine to grow in a new direction, so can a negative, judgmental thinking style be guided along a positive, self-accepting path.
About Jenny Craig
Jenny Craig is committed to a personalized approach to weight loss by offering clients a one-on-one weekly consultation and a customized weight management plan designed to optimize individual success. The Jenny Craig program is a comprehensive "Food-Body-Mind" solution that helps clients manage their weight by creating a healthy relationship with food, building an active lifestyle and developing a balanced approach to living. Jenny Craig, Inc., based in Carlsbad, CA, is one of the world's largest weight management companies, with approximately 640 Centres in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Puerto Rico.